Monday, March 27, 2006

the day i got slapped

It happened last sunday.
I was just having my early morning coffee by my window
looking outside for nothing in particular.
It was one of those days when you have this
gut feeling that it's going to be a perfect day.

But all it took
was for a bird
a beak
some flesh
some blood
and something more
to change all that......

I watched a bird, a strong one grab a small rat from the sidewalks.
I knew what was coming next,
all i had to do was move away from the window and
the moment would just pass away.

But i stood there with hatred and disgust for nature.
It had no right to save this and kill that. Quite an unquestionable law they say.
But i saw only cruelty in the act. The small body was twisting and turning.
Goosebumps appeared all over my skin. But i was rock still, full of contempt.
The bird started poking the body, tearing it apart.
Just when i thought i couldn't stand it anylonger...
the bird flew over to its nest and started feeding its younglings.

It really felt like a slap on my face, my thoughts and the whole ethical system of the world.

I felt like a fool. All these years I've been standing near my window sipping coffee
judging the less fortunate world. Don't we all?
Seeing everything in black and white.
Having double standards according to our convenience.

A hungry kid stealing for food is wrong, but downloading
songs and movies from the net without paying is ok.

A man asking for a dowry is so wrong but a woman looking for
a well-settled, educated, NRI is okay. Aree yaar, she obviously
is looking for big bucks right? So what is the bloody difference??
But nobody is ready to admit that. Instead we stand by the window sipping coffee
shaking our heads...........

5 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Seemantini said...

talk about double standards! its almost has become the way of life (smirk).

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Dragon's Kin said...

They don't say life's a bitch for nothing. Don't waste your time feeling like a fool. This is what you SAW while sipping coffee. Imagine all the things that you CAN'T see from your window. This injustice is required in nature, to balance everything out. No matter how you or I feel. Just resolve to do good wherever you go, whatever you do....that's the only solace.

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger Seemantini said...

yes, avi.. i think wat u say is very true. and the harshness just adds to the conviction.
preethi, my friend avinash, avinash meet "love". hehehe... ;)

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

As i was going through the comments i realised that what i really wanted to say in the blog, hasn't really come thru. My mistake. Didn't bother xplaining b4. I felt like a 'fool' because i had misjudged the bird. When it fed the younglings i realised that it is afterall survivng like u and me. And i thought likewise we misjudge so many other things in life -- pettythieves for the start. And BTW hi
avinash 'love'.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Dragon's Kin said...

hi preethi!! nice*{blog + to meet u} ...keep writing...cheers,avi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home