Monday, December 03, 2007

When death knocks!

I think, kids don't fear death like we do.
I remember when i was a kid, i used to do all sorts of really risky things. I mean really risky. 
I had fully understood what it is 'to die' meant i was probably around 10. But i would nevertheless try a lot of things. It gives me shivers now!
But as i grew up something happened. I fear the 'What if?' factor, i think. I even tend to avoid the topic as much as i can. If you are anything like me, read on...

Somehow this Oprah Winfrey show about a father, victim of spleen cancer, with 3 beautiful sons just seemed different. 
This man who was about to die in 6 months had a message to give to this world. In a crux it was 'Don't sweat about small stuff and it is all small stuff'. 

He had made his life's responsibility to get the message across to as many people as possible. He has gained popularity because of his dedication and thoughtfulness in such a crucial moment. It was really touching. He could go and wallow in self-pity instead he chose to tell people something important. He looked young, intelligent, very bright and healthy! yet he was going to die. And nobody could do anything because of its advanced stage. I felt helpless. Like me, the audience and Oprah herself were in tears with her suggesting that miracles could happen if God wills it and suddenly Oprah asked, 

"How do your friends feel about this?"
And he said
My best friend says "You know you've become so famous because you are going to die that if by chance you lived it might actually be a little embarrassing" and smiled at everyone. 

That instant almost all of them came out of the sinking feeling and actually laughed. He just taught us a lesson there. He could joke about his own death looming over him. How many can do that? I can't. The very thought gives me jitters. But he looked like like a man who had conquered death in his own simple way. He had accepted it completely.

And as one of my friends put it very wisely, he must have lived his whole life that way, 
strong willed yet humble and knowing the knack to flow with life where ever it takes us. I learnt something that day. Yes i did.

PS: My daughter saw snow for the very first time yesterday and boy was she thrilled! No camera here, just memories. Safely stored ;)

7 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger KP said...

poor guy..i hope he makes it...Nobody wants to die...as we all know its inevitable....:) First snow is always special memory...u shud take ur daughter out and play in the snow....:D

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger ceedy said...

i feel if one worries about death, one simply does not live life,
its a very debatable concept - on ones own - one can be carefree and do what they like and take chances with death - but once you have a family then its not your life anyways - kinda you have already killed that personal bug in you.....dont know if i am making sense....

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@kp: yep We did venture out a wee bit. She was super thrilled ;)

@ceedy: You are right in saying that family makes you feel more cautious about things. I've done some real crazy stuff as a teenager that a sensible person wud never do! I will never do such stuff now! But it doesn't mean a family person worries about death all through their lives. Just that when death looms over someone it takes a lot of courage to say 'It's okay'. I find it almost divine. And i don't thing that i'm so evolved.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger ceedy said...

yes i guess,
i did not mean we worry about death when we have to take care of others....its just that nagging feeling sometimes What if???
I guess thats why they have life insurance :)......they cant insure life but death for sure :)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ ceedy: ha haaa the last bit was a good one man.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Salomie said...

You know, its not only a fear of death, but just plain fear that grips you sometimes....not of anything in particular, but just a sort of constant anxiety. I've been in this slump lately, but this post has helped lift me out. Life, no matter how much or little we have of it, is precious, too precious to waste on fear, or self-pity. So thanks for this post!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ shalom: well said. and u r welcome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home