Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tanya and me in our musical adventure....

Today, I thought i could just elaborate a little bit about raising kids.

You see along with it being a huge responsibility, with loads of diapers, sleepless nights etc. it can be an absolute fun ride if you have a good sense of humour!

And also i personally get to influence another little human being. How cool is that?
Before you go judging on me, whether a parent agrees to it or not, however hard one tries to avoid influencing the kid, it is there, at least to a certain extent.....

Anyway when such is the case, my daughter's total disinclination towards music was a shocker to me. Although i never admitted that it disturbed me, i was like why? why doesn't she get interested?... Although she liked a few rhymes and a little bit of music here and there she never had any tolerance for good music. As a mother you tend to question yourself...

Maybe i did not listen to good music during my pregnancy!...
Maybe there is something going on in her ear drum...
Maybe my daughter is different. Yes i'm proud of that! ( Although you know you really aren't!)

Such was the musical quest until my hubby bought an ipod and downloaded some songs in there. For the first time i saw her totally engrossed and she was automatically making all the cool dance moves, the head banging and everything with the ipod plugged into her ears!....
Here comes the moment of revelation my friends.....
She was plugged into hip-hop ... SEAN PAUL was on her ears and boy o boy she was going crazy. She wouldn't give us the ipod. 

She looked at me like, 
why didn't you ever listen to such good music before? 
All those 'Plain White Ts, goo goo dolls and James Blunt were killing me. 
Look at me now baby!... accompanied by the head-banging of course....

She would top all those crazy females you see swaying for hip hop. 
A true authentic natural hip-hop fan who is three years old!
Now, Sean Paul fills my house and I borrow some cool dance moves from my daughter...

 I know what you are all thinking! ---- Look who was talking about influencing!! I know.

14 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Deepali said...

It's cool - Sean Paul ROCKS (as does James Blunt of course).

Get her some Daddy Yankee songs too.

And I'm gonna go listen to 'Get Busy' - it's been a while.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Cosmic Joy said...

Just dont let her watch the hip-hop videos :)

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger KP said...

hehehe...time has certainly change....hip-hop is now the music...hope u can avoid RAP music.....

I read something funny...speaking of sean paul music....
check this out
http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2008/01/18/2008-01-18_sean_paul_song_gave_her_seizures-1.html

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger KP said...

BTW...one more game for Pets for Pursuit of perfection....

For me Last chance.......
GO GIANTS
GIANTS ALL THE WAY.......

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger The Depressed Doormat said...

I am curious. Do kids just dance to anything at that age? I mean, I have played some hardcore heavy metal music to my niece when she was around 2-3 years old (on low volume of course!!) and she seemed to enjoy it. At first I thought it was just her love for heavy metal, but I recently found out it isn't so.

Any parents/child psychologists care to elaborate?

In case it is relevant... that is the song I played.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ deepali: oui oui! But i'd like some ipod time too! It was after all a gift to me for the New Year (sniff! sniff!)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ cosmic: he heee. Always looking from a different angle aren't you? ;)
Yep, she only listens to the songs.....for now!!

@ KPs Zone: Cool new name man! why did you add 'crystal-clear'. Any reason?
Hey James Blunt is also in our time. Don't wanna feel old here!! She has a diff. taste. As aravind puts its..'more refined' umph!!

@ kps zone: Giants!! do you really think they have a chance even with all your screaming?? Anyway don't you think it is cool that the only 2 teams that I supported will be playing the super Bowl. he heeee

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ depressed doormat: hey, welcome back here...
Maybe u have a point there. But my daughter simply rejects everything else including other hip-hop songs! she hasnt heard Black eyed peas tho'. maybe she'll like them too mmm.......she pointedly asks for 'Sean Paul' by name now. She recognises his music when she hears it on TV!! Maybe i'll look for more iffo on wiki..

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger prabhu said...

i think dancing is human nature. I was at the SF ethnic dance festival auditions this sunday. They was some Haitian drums going with a group making nice dance moves. As soon as the music started my friend's kid started jumping up and down, and we couldn't really control him. The really interesting thing is he is barely over 6 months old. We were holding him up ofcourse, but we could stop laughing at his uncontrolled jumps.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger KP said...

hahaha......it was meant for my friends...i am one of those ppl...always give their expert opinion in most of the sport...i told evey1....ginats are winning the game against Pakers...everyone started laughing.....so said this i dont knw why...."its KPs Zone-Crystal clear" ....my views are clear.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ prabhu:Wow! Interesting man. 6 months eh? man that wud've been awesome to watch right? Typical u-tube stuff. if u'd made a taping it wud've got 1000s of hits...
Tanya's dancing is not only dancing she enjoys the music...tries to sing along et al. I mean she this music gets to her in all levels!...

@ Kp: gotcha.. KPs zone crystal-clear ;)

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger ceedy said...

well this is the beginning of your long journey of likes and dislikes.....so enjoy the ride....

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Whiterays said...

Totally agree with you on the 'parent influencing' bit. Now that my lil one is on its way, I have well stocked my baby-must-hear playlists..Hope it works though! :)

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Aiswarya said...

What an amazing post! It makes you want to hug that little one of yours. Seany boy eh! I was in love with him too.. the problem now is , he prefers the youngers birds(clearly), Whats your daughters name again!!!lol!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home