Saturday, April 18, 2009

Of everything 'New' and a lazy day at NYC

Today as i was flipping through the 'Book Review' session of NY Times i came across a title, that at this very moment stands in No:3 position in Trade Fiction - 
'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies', by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith. Description: The classic story retold by "ultra violent mayhem". 
My heart sank to the deepest level it possibly could and i wondered who gave him permission to do this? How dare he put his name by her side?...... if by some miracle my blog gets followed by my old blog pals they'd know the high esteem i have for Jane Austen....
Jane Austen you see wrote her novels at a time when women were not accepted in the literary circles! She was a rebel in her times. Audacious and smart and witty....... 
But that got me thinking ...... who am i to stop this new method of writing that seth grahame-smith has followed, maybe he is the rebel that Jane Austen was in her times. So how do i see new things nowadays? have i become old(too sad to contemplate ;))? have i fallen into the circle where i'm no longer open? or is this book just junk? Don't know, and i'll never know 'cos i'm never ever going to pick that book for reading.... but that's just me...... now we come to the 'Lazy day at NYC' (as my friend put it:) ) 

You see bad economy finally knocked on my door and i'm not working at the moment :( But not to worry i'm taking this opportunity to enhance my skills.... and to just laze around  :) loving every moment of the immense amount of time i have on me and relishing it ... on that note i went for a mini NY city tour with a good friend of mine who knew a lot about the city although he's originally from LA.  After several stops at various queer spots, we hit the elite spot - 'Christie's' (the world renowned auction house like Sotheby's) 

So what has this got to do with the book review i had mentioned earlier in the post? 

Well we happened to be at the Christie's when Betty Freeman's (a Collector) collection were on display. She had collected various contemporary art work by various artists and i was shocked at the collection and the pricing. I thought they were ridiculous. It didn't make sense to me. 
A set of tubelights, yes, you read it right 'tubelights' put together is priced $400,000 - $600, 000! Why? She is an old, kind woman, respected among the elite circle who apparently brings hidden artists to spotlight by patronizing their art. She likes all that is new! She accepts them.... so where do you draw the line between new and ridiculous? Maybe I have a closed view about things or maybe not. Maybe i need to travel more, see newer things, pick up books that aren't my style. So will that make me a new person or will i be faking the whole damn attempt? I'm bringing in some pics and a link to Betty Freeman's at Christie's.

Sorry about the pic being blurry folks.







There you go, the pic, price and the thoughts...... There are many paintings in her collections that are truly wonderful, you can find them in the link below
The Betty freeman video with her byline 
"I have always been interested in everything new and don't know why others aren't"

PS: Finally to all of my dear dear blog pals who consistently visited my page and left comments that encouraged, reprimanded and reminded me of my duties towards maintaining this page, thanks so very much..... even though i could not respond or visited my own page too late to respond, it kept the fire alive, hoping to add a few pounds of coal for it to roar again :)
Thanks again folks.....  

5 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger Salomie said...

I was so happy when I checked my dashboard this morning & saw that FINALLY you'd posted!!!! Glad you're back :D :D

I actually didn't know how you felt about Jane Austen, but I can totally understand what it feels like when someone reworks things you feel passionate about, whether a book, movie or a song. And I'm all for accepting new ideas & stuff, but that price tag for a bunch of tubelights is just plain stupid!

Sorry about your job, but glad to see you're taking it positively. Keep posting ok.....hope your family is doing well :)

 
At 4:21 AM, Blogger Reflections said...

Hey good to see u back:-D!!!!

The pricing for a bunch of tube lights was outrageous or shd I say hilarious;-P

Hoping to see more posts now tht u r jobless;-D

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Return of the Jedi

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger Deepali said...

Hehe at least now you have the time to write a few posts :)

I don't know how I feel about the book. If they had collaborated and worked on it together, it would be fine by me but that obviously can't be the case :) And I am thinking he could have just copied a major part of her story, changed character names and how it all happens and not given Jane Austen any credit for it. But then again it might not have any novelty value in it.

Anyway some change is easy to accept and some change is tough to accept - that just the way things are.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

Shalom hi, thank you so much for welcoming me back feels good :) and yes i always look for good books to read, i think i need to look at better listings than NY Times!.... and my first experience at Christie's left a mark on me, for questions like if you had loads and loads of money to spend what would you do? i will now have an answer apart from the obvious ones!

Refletions: hi hi hi.... yes jobless and totally cool about it, it very strangely gives me a high, as if i'm living on borrowed time! ;-D

Anonymous: thank you for knighting me! and thanks for the gr8 day at NYC

Deepali: he heee the same logical you :) even if he gave all the credits to her i can't imagine zombies walking with darcy and eliza or worse maybe these two are the zombies of the story... eeeks scary

but as you have rightly put it changes are not always easy to accept and in this case my stomach turns when i think about it ....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home