Sunday, February 17, 2008

Cold Logic

Last week one of my friends was telling me that her son
refused to get out of his spiderman suit for 3 whole days!
While i was very empathetic to her plight i couldn't help but think how and why she 
couldn't convince her 5 year old son to get out of that suit. 
I would, i thought.

What do you think happened to me the next day?
My daughter refuses to get into her jacket when we have to go grocery shopping!
She has been doing it for a week now.
Refusing to wear a winter jacket! 
so how do i solve it?

I ask her "Why don't you get into your jacket?"
She: " I just don't want to"
Me: "Why? You tell me what the problem is and i'll solve it"
She: (pause) " I just don't want to. I don't want to go shopping!"
You see when it comes to my daughter and her world, all her problems have one definite solution...... LOLLIPOP :)

Mention of that magic word brings everything back to normalcy.
The 'lollipop phenomenon' worked for 3 days but on day 4 it lost its charm.
Although i could coerce her into getting into her jacket she would be fidgeting through out our shopping and our short walk back home.

Day 5: Nothing works. Lollipop, story time, singing, anger .... nothing works.
I drop our shopping trip and play with her instead.

Day 6: It is 5.30 p.m. Ran out of milk, yogurt, vegetables. I have to go shopping.
I start dressing her up and she knows. Starts her tantrum and even manages to spill a few tear drops...... This time i ask her all kinds of questions and finally she begins to tell me why?

me: I'm listening. Just tell me what it is...
she: Well. It's the Sun.
me: (Thinking.. what the hell!!) 
        Ok. What about the Sun?

She: (Looks very Surprised at my question!)  
C'mon mom, you know how when we enter the shop the Sun is shining bright and when we  come out it's gone! You always hide the Sun after our shopping trip. And i love Sun.

Me: I try my best to stop from bursting out laughing..
Tanya, you must know that our shopping has got nothing to do with the Sun. It goes to sleep precisely when it means to!

She is not convinced, but i tell her a few Sun stories and take her shopping.
And when we come out, she is absolutely right! The Sun is gone :)

What do i conclude.... 
Most of the problems can be solved by slurping a lollipop....(Yes it really does work!)
I'm more powerful than Zeus or Surya Dev! (Personally, I like this bit:))
I spend way too much time shopping!
My daughter has logical + Imaginative brain.

22 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

she is smart.. lovely tale.. why do you hide the sun on your shopping trips??

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Cosmic Joy said...

My conclusions :)
1) Bribery works .. to a limit!
2) Appearances can be deceiving!
3) Shopping can be an alternate to higher education!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger The Depressed Doormat said...

How old is your kid again???

And I was wondering why the sun goes down at unusual times. Do warn me about your shopping plans next time. :P

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ preethi: U think she is smart? Good at least one of the preethi s does :) I thought she knew Sun was not easily accessible! She was talking about it as if it were a pancake!

@ cosmic: mmmmm...... didn't get point no.3. Do explain pls ! Cud always use this logic for more shopping.... :)

@ dd: ha haaa. There is an hourly report in 'The daily Prophet' you cud subscribe for it. Will know exactly how my schedule is for the day !! Gud one there ;) She is 3 years old...

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger The Depressed Doormat said...

I finally added another chapter to the story I am writing. But as it progresses, I sense it urgently going nowhere. Looking forward to your inputs...

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Cosmic Joy said...

Well .. this entire post came about from your shopping trips and led to our enlightenment .. hence #3 :)

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Rendezvous said...

well, firstly i didn't know you're married :) ..

and next, awesome post, realy.. i realized it late that i m probably slow in reading the posts... have been keeping a li'l busy these daz.. well, daughter is smart and imaginative power is great..

good one :)

-R

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ dd: :) Don't despair. Most of the writers feel that way. Will definitely chk it out today...

@ cosmic: Gotcha! mmmmm.... obviously, not enlightening enuf! you had to xplain it for me here right? More reasons to go shopping. Merci Monsieur! :)

@ rohit: Ooops! well, now you do! Happily married with a riotous 3 year old daughter :)
Yup. She's imaginative et al but i sure wish she learns a little Science too....

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger KP said...

little tanya is smart....:)
I am sorry Preethi but I still feel DAD gets credit for Tanya being smart....:)

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ kp: Why is she smart by the way? She is confused with her Imaginative logical brain. 'Confused one' like her dad :P

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger aMus said...

ha..ha...imaginative lil mind at work here!!!momma dear, u better watch out :)

...i once wrote a poem on the sun in my cubtales..my lil one had fun with it...till he discovered a loophole...see if u want to try that poem on her...:)

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger ceedy said...

cool..this makes me really appreciate my childhood......

when my mom went out shopping - i did not have to GO...could be playing in the compound all day or do my thing.....would have to be bribed to come back in.....

i completely see the point in tanya's argument - for her the sunrays on her skin, the shimmering light, the aura of day is captivating...she does not want to loose a moment of this interaction as she "logically" know sun will sleep....for me it is a sad post....that i feel being in this country deprives the child of that ultimate freedom of exploring the nuances of life (nothing against you - just in general - so no offence)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ thinking aloud: ha haa. all smart devils!
will chk it out. Lets see if my li'l one is really as smart as she lets people around her believe her to be!

@ ceedy: hey welcome back man. Don't be sad. She has more fun than we did! :)
Her point though is that i somehow hide the Sun! :)
That's got nothing to do with her playing though. She has great company here. Loads of kids playing the 'kids play' till 9 in the evening. Can't go out because of winter. That's all. I think it will all change when summer arrives.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger ceedy said...

glad to hear that...

see sometimes a person state of mind makes him/her read things which are not there.......

COLD LOGIC - damn how could i not get it :)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Funny! Kids are just getting smarter every new generation :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ ceedy: Yup. Crappy mood does strange things to ppl... :)

@ smitha: right you are...

 
At 5:41 AM, Blogger Romila said...

Cute and intelligent one, you Tanya is! You really watch out,mommy dear, before she ask
"Mom, Pl show me the Sun you had hidden".

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Everyman said...

Wait till she grows up...wonder how long she will settle for a lollipop!!! :-DD

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ romila: I'm thinking of drawing a pic of the sun and carrying it in my purse! All of a sudden i'll be God! he hee

@everyman: Surprise surprise! Hey shain. Welcome man :) When she grows up nothing less than that little plastic card we women love carrying around in our purse wud suffice i suppose..... :D

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Rho Tau GWIS said...

Too cute!!!!

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Deepali said...

Hahaha - you going to try shopping at another time?

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ carolinagal: thanks :)

@ deepali: Ah here u r!
I thought somebody will suggest this. Finally you did..... but u see any other time is inconvenient for me...... yup selfish cruel me ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home