Monday, February 08, 2010

My own 'Kindle'


Ladies and Gentleman... here it is. My own 'Kindle'. Yipee!

I will tell you how i came about to owning one in about a minute, before that comes the story...

When 'Kindle' was first introduced, i was very skeptical, mainly due to the fact that it was new. I generally don't take to new things that easily, bit of a 'old hag' syndrome here... but that's how i felt when the digital book was introduced. Besides i felt the digitalizing of classics especially as some kind of a nameless violation...

But everytime I was in the stores, I invariably wound up in the area where 'E-reader' was around.
I would turn around and say, "Oh! look at that! How in the world did i land up here? Since i'm here and having nothing else to do, let me just see how it works."

Fiddling, fairly impressed, still said, "Hmmmm.... looks nice but wouldn't feel like holding a book now, will it? It's just another technology that's going to die soon"

Once or twice my better half (yes, i honestly think he is better! :)) seeing how i 'accidentally' landed up around 'Kindle like e-reader' every time we went to an electronic store asked, "Are you sure you don't want to buy it? You seem to like it a lot."

Me: How in the world did you ever get that idea? I'm just looking. Just browsing the aisle. Reading a book on a screen will never match up to the real thing... no way.
This pretty much silences 'the man'. Although at hind sight now, I think he seems to be a better judge of me!

So one fine morning, I get a package from someone who had no idea about this constant struggle that had been happening....... Yup, got 'Kindle' as a gift from my dear brother! :) And people i tell you i was super duper happy ..... Thank you bro! Sometimes you don't know how much you really wanted something until you got it.

It has been 5 days since i got 'My Kindle' and the verdict... "LOVE IT"

1. It REALLY does feel like you are reading a book and it is easier since you don't need to remember the page number! *winks*

2. It's extremely light weight, so it doesn't tire your hands.

3. You can lie down and read! Special ((hugs))

4. There are way too many free e-books. I have downloaded many classics for myself.

5. Operating it is simple and it feels like Mac. (A quality i personally endorse)

6. Finally I read somewhere that if you own a kindle/ sony reader, it just means you love technology more than you love books! Personally, this comment was my deterrent. Now I can truly say that this is not at all true. In fact it is quite the opposite.

PS: Kindle, Coffee and Manhattan by the hudson ...... my own heaven!

6 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Cosmic Joy said...

Congrats on your new toy!

I too can relate to the "old hag" syndrome :) I too am sceptical about reading books on a screen/reader. That and the lack of time in life to read anything are the reasons i dont have one yet.. though I do have a brother ;)

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Arun said...

You had me drooling all the way up until you said it felt like a Mac! One of the B-Schools im applying to used kindle instead of the regular text books to share case studies and reports....it got rave reviews there as well. However much people claim that technology can never replace the real deal...they cannot help but be engulfed in a sea of change.

People said that about emails and letters...its kinda ironic when a person who wishes you for your birthday on FB, puts up a twitter message saying "Emails can never replace a crisp hand written letter"

 
At 4:12 AM, Blogger Reflections said...

Have heard abt it and now somebody I know has it;-D

Enjoyyyyy!!!!!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

COSMIC! can you hear me scream!? Nice to see you... :)
'No time!' that's a menace indeed but buying this little toy with your fav books just a click away might just do the trick... 'you have more time than you think you do' ;) while you are at it, fwd the post to ur bro... for obv reasons *grins*

@Arun: Bah! Another Mac hater? i wonder why... well, it really does resemble Macbook, it's white, cool buttons, cool looks...!
The FB - Twitter thing hee heee that was funny....

@ reflections: You bet i will :D

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Salomie said...

Would you believe I'd never even heard of this??? I'm still sceptical about the concept, I think I'd miss the feel of paper too much :(

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ shalom: YAY!!!!! You are back! :) as for ur comment....
no no no shalom. You are just like me. I was too... but once i got it, i'm never seen without it. You shud seriously consider it. You can download most of the books for $0.00 to 9.99. Just like how you don't miss 'real' letters and resort to emails so is this.... but i'm surprised you ahven't heard of 'kindle'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home