Thursday, April 23, 2009

The 7 minute walk.....


I pause and see,

observe

think, 

not the hurried sort of way that i got so used to this past year,

i mean, really think.......

and i hear

my neighbours,

'the hudson' by the window

the stillness in the air,

the rain,

the light rail that passes by every few minutes,

watch the sun set

once again

every day

sipping coffee

thinking..........

I missed you life, i missed me........


I'm enjoying taking tanya to school nowadays, you see we walk to her school and just by taking these slow walks i have come to realize that she's so much like me in so many aspects, we have both started to observe how slowly a blade of grass grows compared to Tulips that were planted at the sidewalks at the dawn of spring, we watch the birds, pausing enough to feel the pinch of forgetting to carry a camera every single day, she tries to guess the names of the birds, maybe it's a 'robin' amma, and i say 'maybe' (Got to mention here that she has a better knowledge of birds, animals and things that crawl around here than me!) I no longer make her cry asking her to hurry up when all she wants to do is kneel down and watch the Squirrel family, I don't tell her to not talk to me because i'm running late to office, I relish walking at her pace, she has so much to say and she sees so many things, she has an opinion on everything nowadays. Maybe she always did i just didn't notice them as much...

(BTW she has insisted on growing her hair long! She looks like the hippies of the 80s !!)


Hmmmm.....I have more to say about our walks, maybe with a few pics next time, stay tuned and take a walk with us......... you'll get to know a thing or two about dandelions, robins and a grey owl that never flies....


12 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Blogger Butterfly said...

Awwww! That was a beautiful post. The other day, I was really busy with a lot of stuff and asked Neha to please not talk incessantly when I am busy. After a while, I realised that in a few years, she might not want to share all that much and then I'll be like: Please just say something Neha, I cannot read your mind! :D
Yes, life is all about taking the time to smell the roses.
I should be more patient. Thank you for this gentle reminder.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

bins: thank you :) i know what you mean, i sometimes cringe after saying something to tanya. I'm not sure if you read my prev. post, i lost my job and now have all the time to pamper my li'l one.... hope i remember to continue this after i start again........ and yes..... dunno what i'll do when she grows up, will miss all this chitter-chatter :)

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger prabhu said...

Good one. But remember, growing old is mandatory, but growing up, that's optional. ;) Just make sure the kid in her and yourself remain as such.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Salomie said...

Loved what you wrote at the start!!! It must be such an awesome feeling, watching your baby develop into her own unique self!

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Butterfly said...

Hey Preethi, I feel very bad for you. You are the first person I know who has been affected. But I am glad that you are taking this positively. That is what matters.
Please keep posting and let us know when a good opportunity has come your way.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Reflections said...

Beautiful Preethi esp. "I missed you life, i missed me........"

I just so feel tht line. I was working till last december & everything was so hurry-burry. Now I'm so relaxed...kids r so thrilled to see me at the bus stop, we talk a lot, I'm baking more, growing plants, cleaning the dirty corners of my house which I never knew existed.......I do miss working sometimes but loving it otherwise:-)).

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

Prabhu: Ah! yes right you are! What about growing wide :P wish that were optional too ...

Shalom: oh yes yes..... i can feel the eagerness in your voice ... just a bit longer and you'll see it yourself he heeee

Butterfly: Are you still feeling bad after reading this post?? Don't be i'm quite content :) i'm the first person you've come across who has got affected? man! .... you must be on the better part of the globe..

reflections: yes. since i'm so happy i sometimes feel guilty that i'm not that career woman i thought i was he heeee i have been reading all ur posts slowly and did read a lot about baking, reading and finishing the newspaper etc. way to go girl.. :)

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Whiterays said...

Ow..how did I miss reading this one? Beautiful!

My hubby & I always used to wonder how it would be when our lil boy starts to walk & talk. Now that he says 'papa & mama' we were wondering, the other day, about how he will soon be incessantly talking & asking questions and we couldn't wait for that. But the point is, we are missing out on the present and got to enjoy his inane mumblings before they become coherent...right? :)

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Ann Dee said...

Hi Preethi,

I landed thinking it's my friend by the same name who would not tell me what's her blog called. And really liked this post. I also lost my job last summer and wrote "Enviable housewives" after joining work back again. I totally miss these little things that we do when we've the time. I have a dog and I take all my time to think, muse, stare when I walk him in the evenings.
Make the best of this precious precious leisure. Take care and all the best!

 
At 4:32 AM, Blogger Ashwadhy said...

Just made me say 'awwaa so cute'. Nice post. Enjoyed it!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger BWB said...

Hi Dear, Its bin ages since I visited u r blog and boy am I not happy that I did it now. I get to see the same gal whom I saw 13yrs back in this post, made me feel nostalgic. When you see the world thru a childs eye it makes u wonder what on earth are we doing with our life procrastinating and complaining and not enjoying the "miracle" that is life that goes on around us. We are nuthin but momentary masters of a insignificant planet in this cosmos. I miss Tanya a lot her smile is so contagious and so envious of you :) Glad u r having a gud time there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home