Thursday, December 06, 2007

Of buying and selling...

"It's better when you win it"
That is the tag line of some curious e-bay ads that's been airing for a while.
Never have i bought or sold anything on e-bay of course, forget bidding. 
Typical Indian mentality i'm afraid.
'Guilty until proven otherwise'. Very distrusting of such sites however big they've made it on the virtual world. But as usual things change. 
I was in the company of a very interesting friend yesterday who has bought loads on e-bay. 
Never sold anything though.
From a stamp with Hitler & Mussolini on it for 50 cents to wooden handmade aircraft models of the MIG series. Nothing above $100 mind you.
He is currently collecting currency notes with the face of the Queen printed in 70 countries so far across the world and intends to display it in the collector's guild somewhere and probably hopes to sell it for millions (!!!) later sometime.
And i was thinking 'Why the hell didn't i think of stuff like this?' Forget the money just to say that you're collecting these things makes you, what is the word?... 'eliteeeeeee' is it ;) just kidding. It must be fun, as close as you can get to archeology right?

Now the mind wanders.... Do i have something even vaguely interesting that is worth selling or be proud of owning?? And there it was, my crowning jewel ... my own , my precious..... There is a picture of J.F.Kennedy and Jacqueline together waving to the crowd at my uncle's place back home, personally signed by both of them when he was the President. My uncle who was a huge fan of the two had written a letter to them congratulating them and they in return had sent a snap with the letter from the White house. Is that cool or what? I'm tempted to try my hand in e-bay now. Although technically speaking it is not my ...er....own precious :P

7 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger ceedy said...

best of luck :)
its very simple.....and ebay and pay pal gives you protection against fradulent charges....am not an avid ebayer...but have bought sold some stuff (10 transactions I guess in total)
well i envy people like that who can focus on one thing - i will get bored in some time and there goes the collection :)

about your curios "desi" nature :)...on my blogs comment - well i am into designing residentail, clinics and small commercial in entire NJ and apartment renovations, preservation, restoration in NY....

and i dont mind having a talk as long as it is not a monologue - so you are free to email me with questions :)
email link is on the blog.....hope DD answers :)

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Dan said...

Hi Preethi! Thanks for visiting my blog! That was very nice of you.

Regarding that photo of JFK and Jackie ... it's not worth a penny. Trust me. But I'd be willing to take it off your hands for $5. Where should I send the check.

Just kidding! :)

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ ceedy: Its interesting work you do. I get hooked on 2 HGTV for hours. mmm.. I've always wanted to ask a real life architect "What do you design?" It is from Seinfeld. Costanza pretends to be an architect and this woman asks... oh well you probably know all about that. So as for more questions, if i get one it will land right in your inbox ;)

@ dan: My uncle would never part with it anyways.(sigh!!) he has it framed! But my bubble just burst. Thanx for the smooth ride bck to reality. :)

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Prats said...

Thanks for dropping in at my blog....loved your comment out there...
And i'm sure one day that distrust in e-bay and others will slowly fade away...cos i'm sure thats going ot be how things sell soon...

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@prats: You are probably right. But it is going to take a while for me to change i think. Thanks for stopping by.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger KP said...

ebay is good and easy way to shop and i know people who does business on ebay...u can make good money too....:) the best part is when i want something i approch them they get me a good deal.....:)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Preethi said...

@ kp. Thanx for the encouragement. I'm beginning to think it might just be good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home